About the Collection
The ÃÛÌÒ½´Methodist University Campus Memories digital collection contains a wide variety of photos, texts, and videos of ÃÛÌÒ½´during all phases of its history. Students, faculty, presidents, staff, visitors, and campus buildings and events are represented in the images and documents.
Although classes at ÃÛÌÒ½´started in September 1915, photographs of the Hilltop depict events that took place even before classes started. For example, included are images of Dallas Hall and during its .
ÃÛÌÒ½´has a rich tradition of recording its history through photographs. Many of the photographs were taken by ÃÛÌÒ½´staff or Laughead Photographers for publicity purposes. Ronald C. Knickerbocker, the first director of publicity, was hired in 1931. Mr. “Knick” (as he was known) served as the official ÃÛÌÒ½´photographer for many years, and took many of the from the early decades.
Also included in the digital collection are , 1939-1989. The films document the student newspaper, homecoming, campus ground and aerial views, and other events.
Please note that ÃÛÌÒ½´archivists and library staff have described or given dates for most of the photographs using available information. Please contact us if you can provide additional details.